Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Yes, We Have No Bananas, We Have No Bananas Today!!!






Beginning Raw Vegan Weight: 425

Beginning Blog Weight: 277

Weight Yesterday: 255 ¾

Weight Today: 254 ¼

Today’s Loss: -1.5 lbs

Total Blog Loss: 22 ¾ lbs in 17 days! Only ¼ lb to meet my 23 lbs blog goal!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here are some recent pics of me. I believe these were taken before i put on the pre-blog 23 lbs, so this is me in the 250's. Now i'm back there again, yippee!

Well, I had the most substantial loss I’ve had in 5 days! 1.5 lbs in one day! That was very exciting to see on the scale this morning! And I am sooooo close to my 2 week goal weight of 254…though it took 2.5 weeks to achieve!

How do I account for the large loss today? I ate ZERO bananas yesterday, and did that on purpose to SEE if there would be any positive affect, and there was! And I don't think it was cooincidental.

I did not have a fat free day as a matter of fact, just a banana free day. I did take in 1 tsp of raw tahini, plus some nutritional yeast last night. I was worried about that, but from the looks of today's results, i needn't worry!

Dr. Michelle Joy here with my latest hypothesis, and I surmise that:

• Yes, bananas hold up weight loss. I ate none yesterday, and finally had a substantial loss after five days of barely losing anything and eating at least 4 bananas daily, and NO FAT on most of those days. I even had tahini and nutritional yeast yesterday.

• I CAN ingest SOME fat, in the form of nut butter or avocado, and still lose weight.

• It may be more advisable to chose avocado or nuts as a fat source over bananas, of course making sure to keep my total fat percentage low.

• Although eating 4 or 5 bananas and no fat keeps the fat below 10% , bananas still have some kind of strange property that makes them SLOW weight loss for morbidly obese people.

• Not losing weight due to: “Muscle weighs more than fat” is probably a false hope.

I often turn to http://www.rawfoodbootcamp.com/ for suggestions when i am struggling and find the suggestions there...tried and true....for morbidly obese people wanting to lose weight on simple raw.

Let's hear what Carlene Jones says about bananas, Larabars and excessive nuts, dates.


"...People at camp love their bananas, but we have found that for most of us with weight issues, more than one or two bananas a day stops or stalls our weight loss."

"...Even those who were staunch supporters of unlimited bananas in the end conceded that they thought it was the large consumption of bananas that was stopping them from losing weight."

"At bootcamp we limit our bananas to one or two a day."


"...[People] have come back to me and insisted that they needed to eat more bananas, more Lara bars, and more protein substitutes to keep building that muscle. They do it, and they never lose weight again. This happened to me as well."

"Before I knew it, I had Lara Bars in my bike sack and every hour or so I would stop and eat one....[and] would feel justified to eat more nuts than fruit. What happens is weight loss stops."

" And though we have all heard and want to believe that muscle weighs so much more than fat, the truth is we are here to lose weight and when that stops happening we get discouraged."


FOOD

BREAKFAST: Blueberry Mango Slushee: 2.5 cups frozen blueberries, 1 fresh ripe mango cut up, 1/2 banana, 1 cup water or as much is needed to get Vitamix slushing the fruit!

LINNER:
  • Meditteranean Salad - recipe below!
  • Blueberry 'WaterIce': 4 cups frozen blueberries, 2 cups water to make Vitamix run. Eat with a spoon! Not sweet, but i got used to it!
  • 1/2 medium watermelon, 2 kiwis
  • 1 avocado

    MEDITTERANEAN SALAD - low fat/no salt

    In a large bowl, toss:

    • baby romaine, 3 cups loose pack
    • 1/2 tomato sliced
    • large handful of chopped fresh parsley
    • red onion rings
    • a little slivered purple cabbage

    In a cup, make Dressing, and pour over salad and mix thoroughly:

    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1 heaping tsp of raw tahini mixed well into the water
    • juice of 1/2 lemon
    • garlic powder
    • black pepper

    Sprinkle on salad:

    • 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast.
    Today was a hard day, emotionally.

    There was a lightening storm in the morning, and I had an early singing lesson, so I chose not to walk or go to the gym. I couldn't blog this morning and became frustrated with the computer that would not bootup due to the electrical storm. I was tense about my impending voicelesson and running late.


    I had my voice lesson, and was shocked that it went so fabulously, but i left it feeling overwhelmed. My teacher wants me to get in the recording studio this week and create a webpage. I'm getting prepared for the raw wedding!

    I came home absolutely starving and distressed, overwhelmed at 2pm, having only had the blueberry slushee in the morning. I made the salad, enjoyed it, but felt hungry still and actually quite irritable. There were dishes to do, laundry to do, and absolutely zero motivation to do them. I was still hungry. I made a giant carafe of the blueberry slushee, felt a little better and went upstairs for a while, took a bath to relax, but still felt hungry and very irritable and actually depressed. I came down and had the kiwis and the entire 1/2 of a watermelon, but I STILL felt nagging hunger and a depressed upset mood. That's when i ate an entire avocado. I have to say, it took away the nagging hunger completely, and i no longer feel irritable or depressed or overwhelmed. I think i was just hungry.

    (Before eating the entire avocado, i had 1046 calories and 9.6% fat.)

    I'm tending to see this little event as hunger based, but perhaps it was emotional/stress related. I'm under a lot of stress, have a lot to do to get ready for the raw wedding and the house is a mess. Perhaps i can get things in order a bit tonight.

    I had 1323 calories only, but 37.5% fat.

    xoxo michelle joy

No comments: