Saturday, June 13, 2009

Letting the ENERGY Flow!




Beginning Raw Vegan Weight: 425

Beginning Blog Weight: 277

Weight Yesterday: 254

Weight Today: 252 3/4

Today’s Loss: -1 1/4

Total Blog Loss: 24 1/4 lbs in 3 weeks...and a LOT of inches!

NEW GOAL: 249 - only 3 3/4 lbs away!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

LOOSE ARMY PANTS
I wish i had measured myself before starting this blog. My army camoflauge pants above are getting losoe on me...!!! Not the most flattering pictures, but what's exciting is how TIGHT those pants used to be! I haven't worn them since last summer, and they had gotten so tight, i had to stop wearing them, and now they're loose!


KEEP IN TOUCH!

Good morning, all of you blogerific people! I'm enjoying hearing from you and hearing your comments, so please keep in touch! LaSoprana@aol.com or leave comments! I just figured out how to respond to comments, so i will be responding to them soon!


LONG BLOG ENTRIES AND LETTING THE ENERGY FLOW!
I apologize my blog entries are so ridiculously long. I know they may be trying to read. I've discussed the issue of long blogs with other bloggers and the concensus is it's best to keep it short and simple. A fabulous suggestion was made to write blogs as drafts and break them up and send them out on days when i can't write. It's a great suggestion, but i guess what i'm doing here...is really JOURNALING. DAILY. I'll try to explain.

This exercise in writing has been THE most amazing THERAPY for me. I am so pleased with how focused it has made me. It has provided me with the most support i have ever felt in my weight loss journey. And it's only YOU and ME!

And it's FREE!


BLOG GOAL - PUBLISH A BOOK!
My goal for this blog is to turn it into a book and get it published. In a year from now, or however long it takes to lose all of my excess pounds, I'll extract the contents of this blog, send it to an interested publisher I already know, and have the makings of a book.

With the blog contents, i'll be able to say 'this is EXACTLY what i did. This is what worked. This is what didn't work. This is how it felt. Maybe this can help OTHERS suffering.'

So, please forgive the long entries. It's really what i need to do for myself.


"LIVING DYNAMICALLY WITH RAW FOOD" by Lisa Montgomery
Lisa Montgomery, a long time customer at Arnolds Way, has been hosting a raw potluck in Royersford, PA for years. She began coaxing more and more famous raw food authors to come speak at her potlucks, and even had Carol Alt speak at her potluck. Carol Alt was so impressed with Lisa, she had Lisa edit her latest raw cookbook, "The RAW 50".

Lisa has a wonderful website: http://www.livingdynamically.com/ where you can see videos of her potlucks and a pilot for her raw food cooking show!

Lisa has become so wellknown in the rawfood world, she was asked to speak at the Raw Food Summit in NY, NY earlier this month.

Lisa has written a new book, "Raw Inspiration: Living Dynamically with Raw Food." My story will be featured in her book, as will several of my gourmet recipes.

Lisa's publisher was so impressed with my story, she asked me if I might want to write my OWN book. Uh, hello, YES! She encouraged me to write daily, compile what i've written, and turn it into a book. Hello, Mr. Blog!

Here is the link at Amazon.com for Lisa's new book, due out in July: http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Inspiration-Living-Dynamically-Food/dp/0981482236/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244895494&sr=1-2


THE ARTISTS WAY
I once read this wonderful book called, "The Artists Way".

As an artist, a singer, I really connected to the message of this book that ART is ENERGY. And energy needs to flow.

But sometimes, because of emotional issues or mental issues or practical issues, financial issues, weight issues, eating issues, we block ourselves off, and our artistic energy stops flowing. Our LIFE energy even stops flowing.


"THE PAGES"
The main course of action to UNBLOCK energetically the "Artists Way" is to write 3 pages of journaling immediately when arising. You contemplate, you meditate on topics, you tell about your day, your successes, your fears, you let it all out.

And in doing that, religiously, amazing things happen. Your artistic energy starts to flow again, and you find yourself more and more in touch, in tune, and in the zone.

That's how i feel since i've started this blog - more in touch, in tune, and in the zone - in terms of my diet, my following through with daily exercise, my ability to control my food intake at work, my emotional awareness and mental positivity.


ARTISTICALLY UNBLOCKING FEELS AMAZING
As far as my artistic self developing, i feel a shift towards the positive there as well. At my last singing lesson, my teacher actually cried when i sang 'Climb Ev'ry Mountain'. That was a really big complement. The energy must have been flowing, for such a response! I know i did feel particularly 'connected', particularly in the zone. I was OUT OF MY OWN WAY and letting God's gift flow through me.

When that happens, it feels like PURE RAW JOY to me, and to the listener. Energy moves chakras. The vibration of the well flowing voice physically and aurally impacts the listener. God created us to respond to music, and when it's well made, emotions flow, goosebumps rise, hearts soar.

I can understand crying at hearing music so pure and in the zone. I did it last week at Cliff's students' piano recital. One of his students, Jordan, is so musically gifted that his senstive playing of Debussy's 'Claire d'Lune' brought me to tears.

Being in the zone musically is a gift to myself...and to others. And all of this writing is helping!


WRITING IS CALORIE FREE!
I'll try to break the sections down to make them easier to identify, so you can scan and read what you want to and not what you don't. I think that will help, too. But, i just ask for your support in doing what i need to do for me. I am an excessive person by nature, and obviously just as excessive in writing. When that energy of typing starts happening, i find it hard to stop! It is such an intense pleasure for me. And...it's calorie free~!


REBECCA, THE RAW FOOD VIRGIN
One of my FAVORITE Blogs is:
http://rawfoodvirgin.blogspot.com/

Rebecca Troutman, the raw food virgin, is such a lovely, BEAUTIFUL young woman, who writes a terrific, witty, concise, sharp, informative blog. I just LOVE it. Please check it out!

Yesterday, Rebecca visited Arnolds Way, not only for a lunch of raw zucchini spaghetti, but to interview Arnold and I for an article she is writing. Rebecca is a professional writer! Wow, she will be approaching the Washington Post with her article for possible submission into the paper! Send her loving energy for this amazing goal!

Rebecca was a pleasure to talk to yesterday, but like all talented artists, sometimes worries. She's particularly worried about what she would focus her rawfood article on. She's on a deadline, too, which doesn't help one relax and flow, but I know she will succeed! Just let it flow, Rebecca and the article will form itself!

Rebecca wants to appeal to young people and send a positive message about raw food. Great idea! As the raw food virgin, an attractive, intelligent, young person herself, I think she has all of the info she needs right under her own nose! Rebecca's hernia is much improved since eating more raw and she's enjoying the social life that being a part of raw world provides.

She's also soaking up raw knowledge like a sponge, even venturing out to making her own KOMBUCHA. I've been raw for 2.5 years and i've never made Kombucha!

I can just SEE the newspaper now, "The Raw Food Virgin." That's a compelling title!

Just speak from your heart, Rebecca. You're so talented, it will create itself. You don't HAVE to know what you're going to say, you just have to start writing and the writing will know what to say!

Please support Rebecca in all of her efforts!


CHRISTOPHER FAIRBURN'S BOOK, "OVERCOMING BINGE EATING"
When i initially started this blog, I planned on focusing on Christopher Fairburn's marvelous book, "Overcoming Binge Eating." That is such a wonderful program that entails weighing in weekly, writing down all food eaten, getting on an strict eating schedule and sticking to it, and eventually weaning off of the schedule, having learned to eat just from hunger, checking progress daily with a series of probing questions, incorporating better eating habits such as: eating slowly, putting the fork down between bites, chewing food thoroughly.

I really hope to still work on some aspects of that book, such as slowing down eating. The slower we eat, the better our bodies absorb the food.

And i think if I start incorporating gourmet into my foodplan, i will need the support of that book to do it successfully!!!! That will be THE biggest challenge, controlling the 'good' stuff! But, as of now, on 80-10-10, i eat when i'm hungry, and don't feel like I have an eating disorder anymore. That's been such an enormous blessing!


WEIGHT LOSS RECOMMENDATIONS FROM http://www.rawfoodbootcamp.com/
But, i'm finding myself almost daily referring to rawfoodbootcamp.com instead.

Rawfoodbootcamp.com is a very intense quick weight loss program especially designed for the morbidly obese as an alternative to gastric bypass.

The program is almost word for word 80-10-10 with a few exceptions, that Carlene Jones, the founder of rawfoodbootcamp.com has come to discover through experience with her many, many successful clients.

At bootcamp, the food is simple raw vegan, whole fresh raw fruits and veggies, low fat, no salt, no oil, but there are also a few other guidelines. I've talked often about the 1 banana a day rule. I've mentioned that dates and agave are forbidden on the program. I've alluded that corn is something to be watched. And this mornings weigh in, though a good loss, left me a little wanting, and wondering if something I'm doing is really holding up my losses.

I love raw fresh corn on the cob. But, is eating it slowing my weight loss? I've eaten it for the last two days.

I am so greedy! For all of this hard work, i want to maximize my results and not keep doing something that will hold up what i want. GOOD WEIGHT LOSS!

I adjust that 250 weight on my doctors scale DAILY, and i KNOW that in a matter of DAYS, i could be FOREVER done with even TOUCHING that weight. I want to BREAK 250 and be done with it for good. I want to start adjusting that big 200 lb scale weight. Won't THAT be something?

You know, when i weighed over 400, we had to invest in our expensive Doctors scale because our bathroom scale could no longer weigh me.

And sometimes i have to pinch myself that i don't weigh in the 300's anymore. One day recently in noting my weight on the blog, i wrote '359' without thinking. It was only later i realized, 'hey, i don't weigh in the 3's anymore!' and i joyously fixed my error.

Nevertheless, that 200 scale weight is calling me and i want to be able to get there.

Let's see what Carlene has to say about other foods rawfoodbootcamp.com restricts:
Corn and Hard Veggies
I have found that corn and hard veggies such as winter squash, potatos and sweet potatos slow down weight loss. If you eat these, keep your eye on them. I personally recommend that you skip these foods while a member of RFBC.

Vinegar
Vinegar is another product that seems to stall weight loss for many women. I can't say why, all I know is from experience. I would recommend not using it while at RFBC. As far as I know the only raw vinegar is raw apple cider vinegar.

What? No Dates
This is another contention among raw foodists. Again those that are naturally thin can eat as many dates and other high sweet fruits as they want. At Boot Camp they just don't fit in. Most of us at Boot Camp if not already over the border are borderline diabetics. We can't handle the high fruit. Maybe someday after you've been raw for a while a date now and then won't spike your blood sugar, but for now while you are losing the weight, they are off the diet. That means no power bars and most of the raw food goodies that are on the market today. Another reason they are off the program is that for those who love their dates, it seems it is all they ever eat. We are about changing our eating habits, not substituting them with raw food choices. To check your favorite fruits Glycemic Index (GI) go to www.glycemicindex.com and click on their database. Make sure to check a food's Glycemic Load (GL) as well - you'll find an explanation for how this works at the site. For some foods like watermelon, its high GI is countered by its low GL making it a very favorable food at Boot Camp.

Rawfoodbootcamp.com has become an amazing support to me on my journey!

I have also emailed Carlene from time to time and she has been kind enough to reply and help when i needed it.


LOVING SUPPORT
I had done the bootcamp program for several weeks and achieved good success on it, however, Carlene's style is dictatorial and somewhat blunt, callous, abrasive, nearing on abusive. Ultimately her style didn't 'work' for me. Some people need that. I need more 'loving' care, as i give myself on this blog. I don't think you hear me beating myself up alot, or ever, and i'm better for it. It would be cool to run a program like Carlene's, but for people who don't need so much abuse.


SINGING DEMO
I'm off later this afternoon to create recordings of me singing at Forge Recording studio: http://www.forgerecroding.com/ to be showcased on a myspace.com page. Since i will be singing at the Raw Union: http://www.rawunion.com/, i think i need to have a place where other people who may want to hire me to sing can go and get an earful of what i can provide them. I'd love to sing more weddings, more parties, events, even funerals. I have sung in funerals and people have responded very emotionally to my singing. Music can be a very deeply healing help during the mourning process.

I'll soon be reporting where you can hear me sing! For now, you can view a youtube that was shot at Arnolds Way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLwSysYvZRY

Off for my walk and to meet Cliff! He just left for his bikeride!

FOOD/ACTIVITY

PRE-WALK SNACK: 1/2 frozen banana, 2 glasses water.

EXERCISE: 45 minute walk. Needed to keep it short as i had to record singing today. Didn't want to be too tired.

LIQUID: Unsweetened icedtea, 2 glasses water.

BREAKFAST: Green Smoothie that was actually BROWN! Baby Romaine leaves, 2 fresh mangos, diced, 1/2 banana, 1.5 cups strawberries. Was okay! Filled up almost the entire vitamix. I drank most of it.

SNACK: Leftover smoothie, baby carrots

LIQUID: 2 bottles of water while recording

DINNER: Gross raw soup, but i ate it. And i'm satisfied. But i didn't enjoy it. Blenderized tomato, carrot, beet, purple cabbage, mushrooms, 1 tsp of cashew butter, celery, juice of 1/4 lemon, 2 cups water. I cut 1 ear of corn into the soup when it was complete, sliced up a few mushrooms and threw those in as garnish, sliced up more celery thinly and threw that in as a garnish, and a tiny bit of chopped parsley. This was NOT GOOD!!! Don't make it!! But i'm full. It was a big serving.

SNACK PLAN: I'd love to finish off the 1/2 medium watermelon sitting in the fridge, but maybe Cliff will want some. We shall see!

xoxoxox, Michelle JOY

1 comment:

suzanne said...

wow. I just heard you singing Puccini on youtube. I'm all weepy. wow. Very gorgeous. Thank you.