Saturday, June 6, 2009

Fitness Assessment!


Beginning Raw Vegan Weight: 425

Beginning Blog Weight: 277

Yesterday's Weight: 257 1/4

Today's Weight: 256 1/2

Today's Loss: - 3/4

Total Blog Loss: In two weeks exactly, 20.5 lbs. Only 2.5 lbs to go to meet my 23 lb goal, and weigh 254 again, what I weighed before I started this blog! :-))


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


I'm off for a fitness assessment at the gym this morning, and then for my walk! I'm going to start lifting weights!

Hey, no more lookin' down, big girl up there in the blue (me at 380 lbs) i'm looking ahead now...and i see a bright future!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My free fitness assessment at the gym was really just a come on to hire a trainer. I half suspected that when i signed up for it, but the assessment actually turned out to be very informative, very enlightening and inspiring. (If I decide to hire a trainer or not will be decided.)

I have not been to the gym regularly in MONTHS, though i've been paying the monthly fee regardless if i go or not. So, it was SO nice to be back, and nice to have that 'feeling' again of wanting to 'belong', of wanting to work out, of actually having a work out, and feeling really GOOD about it!

There was a time I worked out at the gym reguarly. When i was at the raw retreat, i would walk to the 24-Hour Fitness about 3 miles from the retreat (which i joined on a temporary basis, being that i was at the retreat for 8 months), and i would get there, and walk the treadmill and work out on the weights, and swim laps, and that was all after I had WALKED MILES TO THE GYM. I was really working out a lot during that time. Probably MORE than I even realize.

When I came home from the retreat, I lost a few more pounds even PIGGING OUT daily...my metabolism must have been revved HIGH! And bought a pair of army camoflauge cut off pants. I weighed 20 lbs MORE than i do today. Yet those pants JUST fit me now. What that means is: I was 20 pounds heavier, but the same SIZE I am now. How's THAT for bizarre?

And they say SIZE DOESN'T MATTER.

So this whole obsession with weight is kinda nuts. Like Cliff said, it's the QUALITY of the weight. So, so my pants only just fit me now again. That's something to rejoice! No looking back now, feeling sorry for myself. I'm just moving ahead, looking straight ahead. And I'm getting FITTER now, and THAT's what's important! It's not the WEIGHT, it's my FITNESS LEVEL.

So, on these days when i've been losing ZERO.... Have I REALLY been losing ZERO?

Perhaps NOT.

Perhaps I've been REPLACING FAT WITH MUSCLE. Muscle weighs MORE than fat.


When I lost these 20-some pounds on 80-10-10 previously, i was NOT exercising, and the weight seemed to come off much FASTER. AND i was eating banana whips, big ones, sometimes 2 and 3x a day!!!

It's so confusing. I'm glad i'm keeping this blog now, it will help me figure this all out.

So, maybe it hasn't been bananas or dates or agave or WHATEVER holding up my weight loss, maybe i've just been GAINING MUSCLE!!

At the fitness assessment, it was determined I have 44% body fat. The ideal for me would be somewhere around 20-28%.

The trainer suggested I work out 3x/week on the weights to rev up my metabolism and to increase my lean muscle mass. He said the goal was to be burning up 1 lb a fat a week, doing completely NOTHING. When we rev up the metabolism and increase muscle mass, we can do that - nothing, and lose weight. How exciting! This is how 'normal' people can eat like pigs, but not gain weight. They must have high metabolisms and the right ratio of lean muscle mass to fat.

I worked out on the machines doing high reps and low weights with Barkim cheering me on. We did 3 sets of each exercise, and man, that was tough, but i persevered! We worked shoulders and arms first during the free assessment. I also did 40 jumping jacks! I haven't done jumping jacks since i was 10 years old! Everything I own was floppin' around, but i did it!

The most challenging part of the free workout was the AB WORK we did. I say, 'we' because Barkim really helped me. It became apparent to me right away that my abs are very very weak. 3 sets of crunches I managed on my own, but the 3 sets of full sit ups, i couldn't accomplish without his assistance pulling me up, and the 3 sets of lower ab raised leg extensions were almost impossible. I was barely able to finish, but finish I did. What a work out.

I never realized I had such weak abs. Only as of late, has it been a concern.

As a singer of opera, a very intense physical form of singing that demands a LOT of support to sing well, strong abs are like....manditory, I am learning. However, when I weighed 425 lbs, the WEIGHT OF MY HUGE BODY supported my voice, aleviating the need for the abs to help. This distorted way of 'supporting' my voice became my 'normal', and i never struggled with 'supporting' the voice.

After losing 170 lbs, i'm struggling ALOT with 'support'. Why? The body WEIGHT I had is no longer there to ANCHOR the voice. NOW i have to develop the MUSCLES to do the support, because i can no longer rely on the WEIGHT OF THE FAT weighing my body down, to do 'the work' any longer.

So, as a singer, ab work is going to be crucial to me as i continue to lose weight. This was VERY enlightening.

Hiring a trainer is a costly proposition. I'm going to think it over.

One thing is certain. Walking is wonderful, but other parts of my body need attention as well, especially my abs.

FOOD/ACTIVITY
Breakfast: 3 tart peaches

Exercise: 30 mins workout with trainer on weights. 30 mins walk on treadmill.

Sn: 1lb red sweet grapes

H2O: 1 16 oz bottle

Lunch: 'Vitamix Whip' - 4 bananas, 1 tsp of raw cashew butter*, 1/2 Tbsp cacao powder, 1 cup water. Came out slushy and thick, like an icecream. I was VERY hungry.

*FAT PATROL! I hadn't really PLANNED on eating my first fat in 2 weeks (a little cashew butter in my smoothie/whip). But, you know what, I did it, I don't regret it, I don't plan on eating any other fat today, and i'm going to see how it affects me. So there!!! After I did it, I said to myself, 'Heck, it's been 2 weeks, I did kind of give myself 2 weeks to lose the 23 lbs. I'm a little short of my goal, but it's STILL been 2 weeks. So, we'll see what happens." No spiraling out of control. I'm okay.

DRINK: 1 bottle water.

SNACK: 1 box of sliced fresh mushrooms. Simple. Delicious. Even without dressing. That is so bizarre. What a person can get used to!

SNACK: 1 orange cut up. Was good.

DINNER: Gross raw Blenderized soup. I won't write a recipe for this one. I only do that for the stuff that actually turns out yummy! Blenderized: 3 ripe red tomatoes, 1 carrot, 1 small handful purple cabbage, 1/2 lemon's juice, 1/4 sweet red pepper, 1 slice of a sweet potato, 1 slice of a red beetroot, 1 cup water. Blend and try to choke it back if you can! It was filling, i'll say that much for it!!! Would have no doubt been better with a little spice added and perhaps some herbs. Tasted sweet, and lemony. blurch. I can't say my mouth was happy, but my tummy certainly was. I was VERY hungry!

Now it's time for bed! GOODNIGHT! Please write me! LaSoprana@aol.com
xoxoxo michelle joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

80 10 10 is the way to go! I have so much energy and I wish you luck on your journey.