Sunday, June 7, 2009

cliff's piano recital...and ideas for adding a little fat...!






Beginning Raw Vegan Weight: 425

Beginning Blog Weight: 277

Yesterday's Weight: 256 1/2

Today's Weight: 256 1/4

Today's Loss: - 1/4

Total Blog Loss: In 15 days, 20 3/4 lbs.

Only 2 1/4 lbs to go to meet my 23 lb goal :-))

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Hi Folks, this is Michelle Joy. I'm sore from yesterday's workout! I had that one tsp of cashew butter, 4 bananas and still lost a little weight.

I can't lie. I'm impatient and a bit frustrated in wanting to lose faster, but I'm trying to 'talk' to myself to make peace with it, and take it a day at a time...

There's my Cliffy! The many sides of him, thoughtful, serious and sweet! His piano students get to see all sides, I'm sure! (I love how the light is playing on him...i LOVE these photos! He commented he thought he looked like a crazed prisoner in these shots with the blue shirt and the strange light that looks like prison bars...haha! We were in a cabin in Newboro Lake, Ontario at dusk...the shadows are from the window panes!)

Today is Cliff's students' Piano Recital! Over 20 children and young adults will play the piano and show what they have worked so hard to learn all year! It will be a fun day!

Lots to do today! I'm just getting ready to go for my walk, then I will get the refreshments all organized onto platters, and we will need to set up the church! No time to waste!

Wishing you all a wonderful day! Thank you for all of your comments and emails! It really helps make me feel supported, thank you!

Here is a wonderfully informative letter from Pat Umble, a seasoned 80-10-10'er I met recently at Arnolds Way. She keeps her daily fat low and eats no salt. In eating this way, staying away from Gourmet Raw, eating no garlic and no onions, Pat has no more body odor! When she eats onions or garlic, she has smelly armpits! (I had no onion or garlic yesterday and my pits smell fresh today!) Pat provided some interesting salad dressing ideas below. I've not tried any as they don't sound that appealing, but I'm shocked these days what can appeal to a person...on 80-10-10!!!

Comments from Pat Umble, a fellow 80-10-10'er!!!
Hi Michelle,

I met you at Arnold's raw food festival a couple of weeks ago. I am the one who asked you to speak at my Lancaster County rawfood potluck sometime this fall.

I just wanted to say how proud I am of you. I have been following your blog and you are doing fantastic! Keep up the good work and you will reach your goal of being thin. I know you can do it.

I am also a fellow 80-10-10er and I love it. My body feels the best on the lowfat raw, but I do struggle with wanting to eat lots of nuts and seeds so I know where you are coming from.

I do eat some overt fats. I really try to stay around 10%. If I have a day where I eat alot of nuts (like when I overconsume the cashews!) then I try to go for a few days without any.

I mostly use the nuts, seeds and avocado to make really tasty salad dressings.

If you'd like to try to incorporate some fat into your plan, here are some ideas for salad dressings:

- Try mixing some orange juice with some tahini, its a wonderful salad dressing. Use about a third of a cup of oj with 1 Tbs. of tahini and you will be within your 10%.

- Or I make a ranch type dressing with a quarter cup of cashews or sunflower seeds blended with a small amount of water, a squeeze of lemon or lime, fresh or dried dill, fresh or dried parsley or whatever other herb or spice you would like in it.

- Or I blend a quarter cup of almonds or pecans with some oj and red pepper and it makes a good dressing.

- Or I use a half of a small avocado in my salads or use the avocado and blend it with tomato or oj and use that for a dressing.

Tonight for dinner I made a gazpacho with tomatoes, celery, cucumber, pineapple, fresh parsley and basil, squeeze of lemon juice, half of an avocado and a pinch of cumin. I blended a half a cup of pineapple with the lemon juice and herbs and some of the tomato, celery, cucumber for the broth and the rest of the stuff I diced up. I ate a very large bowl of it and it was great.

I know for myself I feel better with a little bit of fat in my diet but I do try to keep it around 10%.

If I have a day or two where I eat higher fat then I go a day or two with no fat. You don't have to be at 10% every single day you just want to keep it at that average long term!

Hopefully some day soon we can meet for a banana whip at Arnolds Way!

Pat Umble
Interesting and good advice from Pat! So, you don't have to eat 10% fat DAILY....just keep it at that average long term. THIS is practical advice. This is 80-10-10 DIET MANAGEMENT. Exactly what i'm looking for. Enough swinging wildly back and forth between ascetic 'dieting' and gourmet raw weeklong pigouts. I need to find a balance.

I've added a little fat back in, yesterday and today, we'll see how things go with the weight. But i'm just going to keep focusing on FITNESS. I'm walking consistently and seeing the inches melt off, if not the pounds. I looked really pretty at the piano recital today and received so many compliments on my new figure. One parent said i looked 20 years younger than the last time she saw me!

BR: 1 small slice watermelon on Main Street at the Manayunk Bike Race! Nice to find a snack there I could eat as i hadn't grabbed anything for breakfast.

EXERCISE: Over an hour walk on Main Street, on Cresson Street (new route), during the Bike Race. Enjoyed it so much!

LIQUID: 2 bottles of water

SN: Romaine Smoothie: 1 frozen banana, 1 head romaine, water.

LUNCH: Chocolate Vitamix Whip before the recital so i don't starve!: In vitamix 3 frozen bananas, cacao powder, a little water. Slushy and whippy and yum. TRIED not to eat any more bananas. I failed! Need to go fruit shopping tomorrow for more alternatives!

SN: carrot sticks, celery sticks

DINNER: After the recital at a restaurant -

  • spring mix salad with avo: spring mix, raw asparagus, raw pea pods, cherry tomatoes, squeeze of lemon juice, no black olives (i picked them off! Olives are a good raw fatty food, they are on 80-10-10, but the black canned ones are not ideal as they are highly processed, and honestly, i've been so thrilled to be off of salt that i didn't even WANT to eat them), 1/2 sliced avocado on top.
  • 3 glasses of white zinfandel (yummy, but 3 glasses? ...At least it's raw!)
  • 1 big plate of mixed all fresh fruit: watermelon chunks, pineapple chunks, red grapes (a life saver! I would have been starved with the small salad alone)

    (Three glasses of wine...AND avocado...let's see what happens tomorrow at the scale!!! But i walked so much today, hopefully that will help me! )

    SN: carrot sticks, celery sticks, grapes


xxoxox, Michelle Joy

No comments: