Sunday, May 31, 2009

Less Bananas Works!
















Beginning Raw Vegan Weight: 425

Beginning Blog Weight: 277

Weight Yesterday: 262

Weight Today: 260

Today's Loss: -2 lbs

Total Blog Loss: 17 lbs in 8 days! I'm on my way to my 23 lb. 2 week challenge! Only 6 more lbs to go!

A sweet picture of the happy couple vacationing in Cananda three years ago before I left for the raw retreat. I've now been raw 2.5 years and have lost over 160 lbs. A more recent picture of me.

Well, todays weight loss is encouraging information! Okay, i will confirm now, when losses are good, weighing daily is envigorating!

I held myself back yesterday from eating so many bananas. I had roughly 3-4 total, instead of the probably 20 i had the previous day working and drinking so many banana rich smoothies. I also did not use agave in my 2nd banana based meal.

I used nutritional yeast yesterday, but i'm beginning to wonder if that 5mg of sodium is what's making my fingers swell. Nevertheless, it didn't seem to affect my fantastic weight loss, yay!

My walk was longer and harder, arms pumping, no stopping for nearly 45 minutes, and that seemed to help move things forward as well.

Poopy talk time: I had a really good number two this morning. Yesterday i did not. I suspect the entire container of dried chili lime mangos also had something to do with holding things up. Dried foods do take longer for the body to process.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY! Only 6 more lbs to go to undo the damage I did by my out of control goumet 2 week binge.

It looks like more not-sweet fruits (tomato, red pepper, zuchhini) were also good choices for weight loss.

Off for my hour walk while Cliff takes his nap! He just took a 15 mile bike ride, his 7th or 8th in a row. We're on a roll with the exercise! Excellent to have a partner!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Walked about 1.15 mins this morning. i did the same walk as I did yesterday, but did not swing and pump my arms, so it took me a little longer. It felt like a more challenging walk today, I suppose because I was a little tired.

It was soooo beautiful here in Philly today, just like a San Diego day! Mid 70's with cool breezes. I was transported back to 'Lemon Grove' (to the raw retreat, O.H.I.
http://www.optimumhealthinstitute.org/ ) with today's California-like weather. Awesome!!

Walking in the gorgeous weather, I felt that old feeling of 'freedom' as well. This was how i used to feel walking miles and miles all over Lemon Grove during my 8 mo stay at the raw retreat. I had no car and a lot of time on my hands. I realized today that I rarely walk around Manayunk, where i live in Phila, just to walk. Living without a car in Lemon Grove was such a blessing - I enjoyed the outdoors so so so much, and felt so empowered by my ability to take myself wherever i wanted to go. I must remember to make more of an effort to walk more and use the car less at home here. Next time i need to go to the store for just one or two things, I can chose to just to walk there instead! That's what i used to do in Lemon Grove!

Mobility is such a blessing. There was a time, as a 425 lb person where i could barely walk, my lower back would spasm after a few steps. It was hell. THIS, today, was PURE RAW JOY!

Pre Walk:
2 glasses filtered water

Exercise: 1.15 mins walk, moderate tempo

Breakfast: 'Mocha Water Ice Slushee' - Recipe below

Lunch: 'Spicy Spaghetti' - Recipe below

Dinner: 'Summer Cherry Dinner' - Recipe below

Snack: 'Summer Strawberry Soup' - Recipe below


Summer Cherry Dinner

2 lbs of summer cherries

Get one patio chair,
park your butt on it, dig cherries out of bag with one hand and throw into mouth. Munch contentedly. Spit pits into cup in your other hand. Remember to breath in deeply to enjoy the summer air and to just relax! Who needs hamburgers when you've got THIS?


Mocha Water Ice Slushee
In a Vitamix, blenderize:
- 2 bananas
- 2 trays of icecubes, 28 small icecubes
- 1 heaping tsp of raw cacao powder
- 3 squirts of organic vanilla liquid

Pour into a big mug, turn the boob tube on, and eat with a spoon! Yum!

With agave, it would have been even more spectacular, but was yummy and refreshing as it was! Of course, with many more scoops of cacao, a bit of cashew butter, AND agave, it would have been mind-blowing!


Spicy Spaghetti
Spiralize 2 medium zuchinis and place spaghetti in bowl.

In Vitamix, whir up:
- 2 ripe roma tomatoes, rough chop
- 1 whole red pepper, rough chop
- 2 inches long hot green pepper
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- basil flakes or fresh basil added at the last moment
- juice of half a small lemon

Reserve: 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, a little powdered ginger & cumin

Pour sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle 2 heaping Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes over spaghetti sauce. Add extra seasoning if desired: ginger powder, cumin powder.

The less fat and salt there is in a dish, the spicier i like it. It makes you forget about what's NOT in it and just enjoy what IS in it! Enjoy!

Of course with a generous dose of olive oil and salt this would have been 'knock your socks off', but i actually enjoyed it! After the first bite, you kind of adjust...and just enjoy the natural flavors!


Cold Summer Strawberry Soup
In Vitamix, blenderize:

- 1.5 large packs of strawberries
- 1 banana
- 3 squirts organic vanilla extract liquid
- 1 tray of icecubes, 14 small
- 1 cup filtered water
- glurg of agave -
strawberries were tart, i couldn't resist!

Pour soup into BIG bowl, cut up 2 small fresh ripe peaches as garnish and sprinkle into soup. Huge serving. Delish!

xoxo, Michelle Joy

No comments: