Tuesday, May 22, 2012

MORE NEW E-Z RAW RECIPES...and HEIRARCHY OF FOOD PREPARATION !


I am just whirling out new raw recipes left and right!  But we've got to EAT, right?

It is almost a week that Cliff and I went raw and, yes, it takes WORK, and EFFORT, but it is so worth it!

Here are some of the fabulous meals we've been enjoying.  When they turn out good, i run to the computer to write down exactly what i did so I can share it with you!

AMAZING STRAWBERRY MANGO SALSA

Okay, so I woke up from a detox-induced nap and was so hungry and so hopeless and dejected about what i would eat for dinner.  I was at my moms and what i wanted was microwaved baked potatoes.  No more for me, however.  Microwaving kills 99-100% of the nutrition in food.  I actually CRIED.  What was I going to EAT?  My mother asked, "Why are you crying?"  I said, "Because i'm SO hungry and i don't know what i'm going to eat!  Raw is hard.  It's limited."  I didn't know what I wanted and the prospects looked poor.  Then Cliff called.  "Honey, can i bring you something from home?"

YES!  Saved by the bell!  I asked Cliffy to bring the yummy sweet 'n spicy tomato sauce i'd made earlier in the week at home, and my Pumpkin Buckwheat Flax Krackers to my moms.  All of a sudden what I would eat came into view!  My mom had fruit and mangoes and avo.  I'd chop up fruits and vegetables and pour the sweet spicy sauce over it and eat the "salsa" with the flax crackers!

Let me tell you, for salt free?  This was SO SO DELICIOUS and you can't believe how HAPPY I was afterwards!  From crying to HAPPY from this YUMMERS STRAWBERRY MANGO SALSA meal!  The Pumpkin Flax Crackers as an accompaniment?  Brilliant!


Into a bowl:

  • 1/2 champagne mango diced
  • 1/2 medium sized ripe heirloom tomato, diced
  • 1 inch of cucumber, diced
  • 1 slice of mild onion, diced
  • 3 strawberries, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • juice of 1/2 lemon

Pour a few tbsp of the recipe below for Sweet 'n Spicy Tomato Date Sauce over it, mix, and eat immediately!  2 small servings or one big.  Save the rest of the sauce for other uses as a yummy salad dressing or dressing for a veggie burger on living bread, as Cliff had earlier in the week!

Sweet 'n Spicy Tomato Date Sauce (*This is a salt free sauce, awesome!)
In Vitamix, blenderize until smooth:

  • 1 roma tomato, cut up
  • 1 small red pepper, cut up
  • 1 small carrot, cut up
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 small slice mild onion
  • 1 medjool date, pitted, soaked if you want
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • generous sprinkle of cayenne, or hunk of jalapeno pepper
  • nice handful of fresh cilantro
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 cashew nuts - makes it creamy! 

  
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Mmm, mmm!  These are the Krackers I made earlier in the week.  I made them to be similar to the Krackers we used to get at OHI!  I make them salt free.  Feel free to add salt if you want!  They are fabulous and so crispy! 

Pumpkin Buckwheat Flax Crispy Krackers

The night before you want to make these - In large bowl, soak seeds: 

  • 1 lb hulled buckwheat
  • 1 lb flax seeds, light or dark
  • a few handfuls of raw pumpkin seeds
  • a handful of raw sesame seeds
  • a handful of chia

Fill large bowl with seeds and cover with filtered water to1 inch above seeds.
Let sit out overnight on the counter or in the fridge, covered. 
The next day, only if necessary, tip bowl slightly over large sieve to drain out excess gummy water. 

Next step-  In the Vitamix, blenderize:4 roma tomatoes6 cloves of garlic1/2 onionany other desired spices and herbssalt, optional (I did not use any)
 
Next step-
Pour sauce over seeds and mix. 
Spread about 3 or 4 large plops onto teflex covered dehydrator sheets and spread an inch away from corners of teflex, which should fill about 5 to 6 trays.
Dehydrate on 105 for 2 days or until fully dried.  I didn't even need to flip them!
When dry, break into large kracker shapes and store in ziplock bags.  

These will be good for 12 months. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

FRESH YUMMY SALSA

I fixed this for Cliff and myself by pulse chopping in the food processor and served it with the Quick Quick Chunky Guacamole below, a small dressed salad and some living bread triangles.  THIS WAS SO SO good!  Such an attractive presentation.  (I left out the salt on my portion!) 


  • 2 roma tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1/2 clove garlic, sliced
  • handful fresh cilantro
  • a nice slice of onion
  • some shakes of cayenne or fresh jalapeno slices
  • himalayan salt, optional
  • juice of 1/2 lemon or 1/2 lime
  • 1/3 small red pepper, sliced



Eat immediately, but save a few spoonfuls to make the next recipe!

~ ~ ~ ~ 

QUICK QUICK CHUNKY GUACAMOLE

In food processor, pulse chop:


  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 Tbsp reserved salsa
  • another squirt of lemon or lime
  • 1 stalk celery
  • extra sprinkle of the himalayan salt, if desired


This kind of food needs to be eaten immediately.  You won't have too much trouble with that!!!

Too bad i don't know where my camera is!

~ ~ ~ ~ 

RAW INSPIRATION



I can't tell you the IMPACT that Dr. Joel Robbins video "Healing Through Nutrition" has had on us.  We now eat food the minute we make it and try to limit saving leftovers.  The Heirarchy of Food Preparation is from his video and can be found on the website below.  Blessings!

OXIDATION 
You know how when you bite into an apple, it turns brown?  Raw foods oxidize quickly.  I just learned from the Dr. Robbins video that it is BEST to eat fruit and veggies AS SOON AS you cut them before they oxidize and lose their nutrition.  Leftovers, in fact, lose a lot of nutrition!

Heirarchy of Food Prepartion by Dr. Joel Robbins from "Healing Through Nutrition": 

WHOLE FRESH RAW ORGANIC FRUITS and VEGETABLES - Retain 100% nutrition - best fresh picked, fresh cut
DEHYDRATED OR DRIED - lose 2-5% nutrition
FROZEN - lose 5-30% nutrition
STEAMED - lose 15-60% depending on how lightly steamed
COOKED - lose 40-100% depending on how cooked
COOKED LEFTOVERS MICROWAVED - lose 90-99% nutrition value
COMMERCIALLY CANNED/FRIED FOODS/FOODS WITH ADDITIVES - lose 100% nutritional value and have added toxins in them.


You can find more info on Dr. Robbin's video here:  http://healthfree.com/nutritional_power_robbins.html  

xoxo michelle joy

No comments: