Monday, August 12, 2013

SALT FREE RAW SUMMER SALAD!!


Water retention is always an issue with me.  My mother says my diapers were dry as a child, so it's an issue I've had since birth.  Fluid goes in, it just doesn't want to come out.

There must have been a lot more sodium in the salads I ate yesterday from Whole Foods than I thought.  My legs felt like lead weights today, working at Raw Can Roll Cafe.

Deciding to go raw and salt free this evening to help alleviate the water retention, I came up with a surprisinging delicious dinner that I thought I would share with you.  It's something similar to a salad I once demo-ed for a raw cooking class, so, starving this evening, the idea came back to me since we had all of the right ingredients on hand, many fresh from our summer patio garden!!!

I can't express to you how exciting it is to just go outside on the patio and pick organic home grown tomatoes and herbs, and come in and make dinner!!

Question: Where is anybody getting fresh organic corn from these days?

NONE at Whole Foods EVER this summer. We keep checking and calling.  Nada.  

We got ours from a wonderful organic farm in Lancaster County that a friend told me about.  If you need the info, let me know!!  They don't have a website.  

For this recipe, if you don't have organic fresh corn on hand, use the frozen organic.  Next best thing.

I really do hope you make this salad!!  Very vibrant colors and fresh flavors, accented by the lightest of dressings!  You really get to just appreciate the veggie and herb flavors the way God made them!  Very nice mouth feel with the crunchy celery and peppers...and the soft of the avocado and cashews...and the squirt and tarty sweet of the tomatoes.  Really very good.

Mmmmm, super natural, super yummy!  Make it!

FIESTA CORN SALAD 
Add ingredients to a big bowl, toss, and enjoy! Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
  • corn kernals from 4 shucked corn
  • handful fresh basil, sliced thin 
  • 2 mint leaves, sliced thin
  • handful cilantro, torn
  • 10 fresh raw cashews, whole
  • 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
  • 2 radishes, sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup scallion, sliced thin
  • 3/4 cup sweet red pepper, small chunks
  • 1/2 avocado, small chunks
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, very small chunks
  • 2 small carrots, shredded
  • top 1/3 of a bunch of baby asparagus 
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
I didn't put any salt or agave or garlic, but season as you wish, although it honestly didn't need a THING!  
My salad sort of looked like this pic (from the food network), but much more colorful with the radish rounds and asparagus tips and shaved carrots and the avocado chunks!

Really, people, this was a very delicious and nutritious summer salad, inspired by things growing in a home garden.  I hope you try it.

Let me know!

xoxoxo
Michelle Joy

No comments: